View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
UMASS Lowell, solid programs. State school that`s not nearly as expensive as the bigger names with a very good rep. Campus located in a fairly large city, Lowell about 130,000, that offers a well rounded student life and still is only about 30 min drive to Boston. Worth a look for anyone interested in the eng. fields. Good Luck P S other pluses include numerous sports teams and a rather large amount of coeds in the educational programs .
Totally spaced on them. They're about 10 blocks away from me too.

I have a friend who went, solid school with good connections to companies with local offices.

I went to Northeastern, also good, and eventually Waterbury state tech (Since absorbed into the community college they shared a campus with) I was primarily in a program for CAD/CAM that started in 84, but we learned a lot of general engineering. Probably not enough for certification, but more than enough to handle the technical end of things when I was doing industrial work. The guy I worked for was an old school mechanic, and extremely good at it. But I'd sometimes have to translate between "MIT English" and "Mechanic English"

If you've got anywhere near the grades, at least apply to MIT. You'll get a chance at a lot of very cutting edge stuff.

Also, College is very much a DIY education. The profs and assistants are there to give you information, but it's more up to you to learn it than it is now.

Steve B