View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Not quite a broken ankle, but yeah, I've had one of those what the heck am I doing moments that changed how I look at things.

Just before I joined here I helped friends go through the collection of a relative who'd died a bit unexpectedly.

I knew what the stuff was, and why it was cool. They had no idea other than he'd saved a ton of "stuff" and they had to deal with it. The things that looked good got brought home, the rest was still there. Lots of it. Like cases of new stuff opened until a set was complete then the extras put back in the boxes. Not bad, but not good, and just a bunch of cards.

I looked around and saw it as a collection that wasn't all that well organized.
And sort of saw my collection through their eyes because it was/is very similar. After I helped them consign most of the stuff locally, I consigned a bunch of my own stuff. Boxes of extras that really weren't doing much of anything but taking up space. Still a long way to go, but it totally changed my lack of focus from boxes full of whatever junk I ran across to more towards quality.
It also prompted me to get a few cards graded, because if my daughters aren't interested (Or niece and nephews) They'll probably have to sell it someday. And it might be a bit easier than trying to learn about stuff just to sell it.

Steve B