View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Mike Bodner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
ever since i started selling in 1990, began collecting at age 7 in 1979. good stuff just keeps getting more expensive. It (the hobby) will always be here but never as hot as the late 1980's early 1990's but its solid.Or the massive price upticks grading brought. For the record I am 41 and know a lot of people my age and younger that are collectors.
I actually feel it's "foundation" is more solid than in the early 1990's. What happened then was a lot of non-collectors who got into what was the hype. I worked two LCS from 1983-1990 and saw many jump into the hype more as hoarders than collectors. Much of the throng at the '91 National was not roaming the floors filling holes in their collection but standing in promo lines. As I see it, some of that has morphed into the current "prospectors" and "flippers" who don't really have collections but just casually buy, sell, and hold and often can't really talk sports other than who's hot in cards and might be the next _______ (Strasburg/Trout/Harper/Puig/Abreau). I don't see this as bad for the hobby, just another part of it, and actually good as some will turn into long term collectors. It also seems that many who left when the hobby in the 90's are re-discovering what they enjoyed about then, myself included.