View Single Post
Old 01-14-2014, 09:58 AM
pariah1107

Theory based on supporting evidence: The photo is not William Delano Page (1867-1955) as he was described in his 1896 California Voter registration as 5 foot 10, Medium build, Green eyes, Light Brown hair.

As pointed out before the town of Cotati was not known as such, until October 1894. Looked up pre-1894 Page's Station Baseball but no info. So the photo is probably not before the spring of 1895.

Economic hardships brought on by the Panic of 1893 and an embezzlement scandal perpetrated by the ex-superintendent of the Cotati Land Company, William A. Chapman, probably hurt the availability of funds for a team. Chapman was arrested Nov. 1897 and convicted in March 1898 of stealing nearly $1,000 from the Page Brothers over the previous two years. He was ordered to pay restitution.

I have found two articles that reference the Cotati baseball team. Both losses to the Tomales baseball team, a 29 to 22 loss, May 20, 1899 & a 17 to 8 loss, June 16, 1900 (both articles from the Sausalito Press). The game in 1900 was played on the baseball grounds in Cotati. No batteries listed, just scores.

By the spring of 1902 talk of a six team league began in Marin County which was to include teams from:"Santa Rosa, Petaluma, San Rafael, Sausalito, Friscos, and Alameda." (April 26, 1902, Sausalito News). No mention of Cotati. The team must have been a very small town team. Not worthy of mentioning in 1902; these leagues always tried to get six teams but would settle for four so every team possible was mentioned to drum up support. There may not have been a team in Cotati after 1901 (no available records indicate one). The Petaluma Courier would be helpful, and is quoted a lot, but unfortunately not in the California Archives.

By 1900 many of the Page brothers had left Cotati for San Francisco, including William Delano & his older brother Wilfred (who co-owned Bennet & Page Grain/Wool in San Francisco).

It may still be a Page in the photo, my guess is, more than likely some relative as many of the brothers had six, seven children. With the above info, my guess is the photo is from 1898-1901.

That was a blast! Great stuff. If I run across something concrete will let you know.