View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 08:03 PM
Tony Ooten

My only other cards of known provenance: Nov 2010 I was working on the monster and bought about 20 t206's from a lady in Virginia. The ebay listing said they belonged to the lady's uncle. I asked if she could tell me a bit more about him and her husband wrote the following note:

"My uncle Robert Buchanan Owens was born in Mason County Kentucky in 1901 and passed in 1970. He was in the military, I think the signal corp and stationed in England during WWII. His family had a English ancestry and he enjoyed having his tea each morning, with a cut rose on his table from his flowers. He was a Travelers insurance agent for 30 to 34 years. He and his brother Frank S. Owens must have collected these cards together. You can go to http://books.google.com/books?id=qPs...e%20ky&f=false to find more about his brother Frank S. who father had a Ohio River ferry named after him. Uncle Bob was a kind man, who with my aunt Viola, were very involved in the community and their church. Since he lived close to Cincinnati, the Reds were his favorite team. He was a gardener having as I remember huge flower beds of rose. He enjoyed golf and was an active golfer. Finally, I cannot remember many days that Uncle Bob did not have a crisp starched white shirt, a tie, with a sport coat or suit. I hope you children and yourself enjoy he and his brother's baseball cards. ,, Tom "