View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
March 2012 I won this Sandy Koufax on eBay and received the following note from the seller:

"Hi, thanks a million for buying this Sandy Koufax card. This may be a poor and acceptable card, but this one has a lot of memory for me and it was hard to sell. I almost had the complete set and I was frustrated because I could not get this card. He was a nobody at that time, but none of my friends had it either. So, one day in late 1957 I went to a friends house and he had a buddy who had cards, but was not taking care of them like me. I saw this card and it was like finding a diamond in the rough. I traded for it. Yes the card has issues, but, to me, this is one of about 100 cards that are directly linked to my youth. Take care of it. Thanks Stephen"

A pleasant surprise. And, along with low cost, one of the reasons I like raw low grade cards. Each one has a potential story like this one attached to it.
That is a great story, and a cool card that was obviously loved. It is funny how the thunder rumbles. My dad had 3 of those that he collected as a boy, out of a total of 270 1957 Topps. This was the best of the bunch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg koufax.JPG (70.6 KB, 395 views)