View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
The Vermont find included original glass plate negatives that were used by Goodwin & Co. together with more modern prints (the prints/photos believed to be post 1900, but made from the original circa 1888 negatives). Some of the Vermont find photos were created from negatives that are still with us today while others were created from negatives that have been long lost to time. I do not know if your photo came from this find but it is certainly possible. Your pose of Mathews is new to me.
Thanks Joe and others. Were there any tintypes in the Vermont group?

This image is a tintype not a paper print.

I am a photo collector and would expect it to be a mirror image as is typically encountered with tintypes. However, some photographers used a reversing prism or mirror to get a "correct view"-- which would have been more important with lettering.

The possibility also exists that one of the Vermont negatives was printed reverse and then copied with the tintype process. In my experience copy images are rarely anywhere remotely as clear and crisp as the original and I wouldn't expect to see the bat details if it were done this way.

Thanks again for all of the input and any other thoughts, ideas or suggestions.

Scott

Last edited by TNcollect; 01-31-2014 at 11:32 AM.