View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Erik -14!!

Thanks guys, I found a Jimmy Brown for my set!!!!
That wraps up the 58 Topps, so now I am only collecting 72T, 66P and the insane 14 set quest of 71T.

I was 9 years old in 1971, the first year I was serious about cards.
I had collected a few 1970 Baseball and Football (dull designs, eh?) and some 1971 Baseball, but by the fall of 1971 I was addicted to FB and those cards!
I bought hundreds and hundreds, then moved onto 72 Topps Baseball and I hit high gear throughout my teens.

As others often did, I forgot about cards for awhile but got reacquainted in the mid to late 80 's. Eventually I amassed a giant collection of that crap of the overproduced era , but found great interest in collecting the oldies too. I had almost all the cards from my youth still, except my original 1971's

But, I discovered that my favorite cards could be had cheaply on eBay...and off I went to recreate those memories!

When compiling the set by buying lots, I placed them in a binder, finished set 1 and found I had enough to start a second set, and put set 2 in the same binder.
I kept buying though.
Next I placed each card across the row, 3 of each player per 9-pocket sheet.
Looks pretty cool!
That was sets 3,4,5
Of course, that wasn't enough, so I chose to collect more and do a full page of each player, meaning I needed 9 more of each card, or 14 sets in all.
The 9x collection method has been adopted by a few collecting friends, that looks REALLY cool!

Who knows, maybe with the hundreds of extras I will keep going, but I think I only have 9 full sets now, since I am short several Bradshaws, Namath, Greene etc in those, although I think I have ~30 cards of Jim Butler, Ernie Wright or Gary Garrison.

Fun!

Thanks for asking and for your help in acquiring more cards!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.