View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

My 2 cents:
I would have the tape residue/soiling cleaned/removed from the front and leave it at that. It looks like there is some surface loss around the periphery, but little that intrudes into the image area, so I personally would be more inclined to mat out most of the loss areas and frame it rather than doing some sort of infill/repaint (not sure what exact process they use for photos) to recreate those areas. To me, that's the difference between restoration (cleaning and working with what is there) and recreation (for parts that are no longer there). Others may feel differently.

And FWIW, I have not personally had any photos cleaned, restored or recreated, so this is all academic where I am concerned. I'm sure others can speak more from personal experience.

Beautiful photo, by the way. If you ever wondered what it would look like in color, this was Brace's later interpretation that he used for his Bra-Mac photo series:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0575_1 Lou Gehrig (1934 New York Yankees).jpg (71.6 KB, 235 views)