View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Bob M

Jerome Holtzman, sports writer in Chicago for decades was often designated as The Official Scorer at Chicago White Sox games in Comiskey Park. In 1967 he was the official scorer for many games including a No Hitter in September when the White Sox beat the Detroit Tigers 6-0 in game 1 of a doubleheader during the wild A.L. pennant race. Below is an image of Mr. Holtzman's actual official score card that day, when Joe Horlen no-hit the Tigers (Kaline, Mathews, Cash, Freehan, etc).
JeromeHoltzman1967.jpg
from Wikipedia: Born in Chicago, Illinois, Holtzman wrote for his hometown papers for over 50 years. Beginning as a copyboy at the Chicago Daily News in 1943, Holtzman wrote for the paper through its merger with the Chicago Sun. His influence and viewpoints made him something of a legend among newspapermen. Southern humorist Lewis Grizzard, who worked with Holtzman while sports editor of the Sun-Times, called him "the dean of American baseball writers," and went on to say "He never smiled, but he had the keys to Cooperstown. No major leaguer ever got into the Hall of Fame if Holtzman didn't want him there." Holtzman left the Sun-Times in 1981 for the Chicago Tribune, remaining there until his retirement in 1999.

Holtzman was awarded the 1991 J. G. Taylor Spink Award by the Baseball Writers Association of America (BBWAA). He was honored by the Associated Press Sports Editors in 1997, who awarded him the Red Smith Award, which is America’s most prestigious sports writing honor. He was elected to the International Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 2005.

Among Holtzman's contributions to the game during his career was the creation of the save statistic in 1959. It was adopted as an official statistic for the 1969 season, the first official new statistic since the run batted in (RBI) in 1920.