View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Joe Gonsowski

I have found that top row cards are more likely to have a large top border, bottom row have large bottom border etc. A little less common are the large left or right border cards that were far left or right on a sheet. Some of this could be due to having six cards across a sheet and only four cards tall.

There are far more examples of Gruber in which the bottom border appears normal. The four examples I posted could and should have also been cut with a normal bottom border but relaxed quality control allowed these oversize cards to circulate and, in turn, give us a clue as to how the sheets may have been arranged. It is possible that all Gruber cards could have been bottom row cards even though most of them have a normal border size. They also could have moved around the sheet as updates were made. We know the card moved around the sheet if one of the poses I posted turns up with a large bottom border that reveals a card below it.

Back to the original post, I believe these cards suggest Gruber cards resided in the bottom row of a sheet (at least some of the poses) possibly on a Cleveland team sheet.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 05-30-2014 at 08:23 PM.