View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 01:33 PM

Default A comprehensive "History of Baseball" set would be a real contribution

Andrew & Mike:

When I spotted your Network54 posting two words came to mind: Excited and Hopeful. I would personally like to see a comprehensive History of Baseball set on the order of Upper Deck's Yankee Stadium set of thousands of cards. Such a set, issued in series, would be a serious contribution to the hobby and Baseball generally.

My two cents' worth (of suggestions) would include making the cards in various styles and sizes but conforming as closely as possible to generally available collector sheets for convenient display and enjoyment. Again, Upper Deck did a series 21 years ago that mirrored T202. It is well done and allowed for a mixture of black and white, color and somewhat extensive biographical information: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...antle&_sacat=0

When you said "we are in the process of developing some new products . . . which will tie directly into TCMA's "The 1930's" set . . ." my anticipation juices really started flowing. As a one-time subscriber to that set (by series), I thought it was a great concept and with the passage of time (and the obvious scarcity/collectability of those now 42-year-old cards), The 1930s set has become one of my favorites. In fact, as an eBay store seller I have assisted several collectors in either completing their sets or getting very close to completion - including one collector in Switzerland.

Oh, yes, at least one more suggestion: for cards requiring an artist's touch, consider Ronnie Joyner (who has produced his own sets) and Monty Sheldon (who does unique Art Baseballs and has worked for Topps). I have sent you their contact points by private message.

Whatever you finally decide upon, I'm sure it will be well received within the hobby and hopefully will draw many others into our fraternity - much as TCMA did more than four decades ago.

Best regards for much success,
Steve Mitchell

Last edited by SteveMitchell; 07-09-2014 at 04:16 PM.