View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 PM

Being one of those "stamp guys" I fully understand the importance of having top notch reference books. They enhance the enjoyment of a hobby, in my opinion.

In the stamp world there have been literally thousands of such specialized reference works written over the years, many of which are considered essential reading.

Frankly, I am surprised the sports card hobby has gone as long as it has without reference books, beyond the yearly catalogs.

I for one would welcome anything of the nature that is being described. Although I probably don't collect many of the things that would be written about, there are certain topics that could be applied to almost any card set, such as the various printing techniques and production processes.

Over the 40+ years I've been collecting cards, I've noticed, to a certain extent, an unwillingness to share knowledge. I find it refreshing to see collectors who are so willing to share what they know. I have especially noticed this since joining this forum.

Some of the things I would find interesting to know about individual sets are:
- Are there common fakes to look out for (such as 1971 Topps baseball cards with Sharpie touch-ups on the borders) or commonly counterfeited cards.
- Which cards might be easiest/hardest to find in higher grades.
- Wrapper varieties and display boxes.
- How were they sold (such as wax packs, cellos, grocery trays, vending factory sets etc..)

I would fully support any reference material that pertains to any of the sets I collect. Please keep us informed if this project get's off the ground.
My website for 1963 Topps football color variations -