View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
Very good post Bill! I 100% agree with you on the whole prospecting/modern card thing. I believe prospecting is the closest thing to gambling in our hobby. Cards worth a bunch at one moment way take a massive drop the next moment when the prospect has a bad season or doesn't get called up. Too much risk involved in that collecting. BTW, I'm sorry that you were forced into an early retirement/disabled by a condition that you did not have any control or say over. Crappy things always happen to the best people. But I am glad you are not letting it keep you down.

For the OP: As for where to go, if one loves the history of baseball, I'd recommend any pre-war sets or early post war sets. Both have plenty of HOF'ers to collect if that is what you want to focus on. As for cards keeping their value, I'd recommend good/decent graded copies of HOF'ers in the specific sets. These will usually always be the cards that everyone wants to collect, hence there will always be a good market for it. If anything, the prices of HOF'ers in the pre-war sets and early post war sets have increased and I do not see them dropping anytime soon. As for modern, one injury can drop someones card prices to almost nothing. Prospecting players is a way to make money in a hurry, but it is the closest thing to gambling in our hobby.

Many pre-war and early post war sets can be collected on a budget so do not let that discourage you. If you want a card and it costs more than you have, just save up for it. Eventually, you will become the owner of that card and it will make you feel awesome knowing that you finally own it. I recently have enjoyed looking at the 1910 Standard Caramel (E93) set and hopefully one day can start trying to collect it.

And just because a card may not be the most expensive or the best card in the set, doesn't make it worth any less to you if you truly want to collect it. This is a hobby. Collect what you want to collect and what you are interested in. Just relax and enjoy it and let the good times roll!
Thank you, Dustin. I believe adversity builds character, and creates opportunities. I'd just gotten a big promotion about 4 months before I got hurt. So while I was very disappointed that I couldn't work anymore, in part because the money was so great, but more because I got so much satisfaction from helping people, instead of letting it get the best of me, I decided to find something else to channel my energy into. I was down for a little while because I'd built some wonderful business relationships. My promotion had me working with our best clients, many of whom I spoke with on a nightly basis. These clients had substantial assets, and were generally a cut above the rest when it came to investing knowledge. So the conversations I had could be quite challenging, but at the same time, I found them enthralling. I relish the opportunity for political or financial discourse, and being able to learn from these clients, these men and women who'd traveled extensively, who could speak at length about business customs in other parts of the world, that's something I'll always have. Those conversations helped me to open my mind, to see new possibilities, and to challenge convention. There were times I couldn't believe I was getting paid for what I was doing. But since losing that intellectual stimulation, I've found a way to get much of that back here. The subject material is, of course, different, but many of the discussions we have about the game, or the hobby, well, they give me that same sense of satisfaction. Being able to converse at length about the greats of the game that have shuffled off this mortal coil, and compare them to the very best today's game offers-and to do so in an environment that encourages passionate, and intelligent debate..well, that's an added dimension that I couldn't have possibly anticipated when I signed up on this forum. But I am so thankful to have found this place.

Andrew, over time, I know you will find your way, your own little niche. You will learn what you love, what you enjoy, simply by doing, by reading, by asking questions. You will probably change your mind a few times. We've all done it. Just remember that nothing is permanent, so if you buy something, and decide two weeks later to go in a different direction, there are probably other people changing their minds, wanting to go now in the direction that you are leaving. It all evens out. Just keep your mind and your eyes open. Once you find your legs under you, you'll never really look back.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.