View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott
Surprised at the responses. To me it's Rube Foster - no-brainer. Based on his involvement with bringing semi-pro baseball to the Midwest, and then building on that, popularizing black baseball through his tours and Chicago city league involvement, and then using all of that to create the Negro National League, which gave black players the exposure and experience to push for being allowed in the Major Leagues. No Rube Foster - no Jackie Robinson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post

This.

Every name listed is historically important for one reason it another, but without someone (Foster) creating a viable and competitive league for African-Americans, many of the names listed would be lost to history. You can sweeten up Branch Rickey's intentions all you want, but the fact of the matter is that first and foremost he turned to African American ball players to make his team better. No Foster and no Negro Leagues means no Paige, Aaron, Mays, Gibson, etc.
Totally Agree with Scott & Steve!
Everything that I have read & learned about Mr. Foster has Always lead me to believe that "He iS the Man!!!"

There's Even a Story about Mr. Rube Foster BeiN' "The Man" Who Taught Christy Mathewson His Fade~Away Pitch... Mr. Mathewson never disputed the Story, So I Believe iT's True!
That's how Influential Mr. Foster was Back iN the Day!

I Salute Mr. Foster... I Believe No One Worked Harder Than He Did oR Even Fir aS Long aS He DiD!!! I Even Think He would give Mr. Jackson a run fir his money aS BeiN' the Most Influential African American... Mr. Jackson was Hand Picked and even Coach'd at times oN how to Act, Re~Act & Carry Himself to the Public's Eye, Not So with ole' Rube! Mr. Foster was a Natural Born Leader. Don't Get me wrong here... They both had their place iN History... I Just think that Mr. Rube Foster was a Remarkable Human Being & the more I learn of Him... the More I Believe!

Derek... Your Typo was Just Classic!
TalkiN form da Grave RiGHT B4 ALL Hallow's Eve... Freeeaky Dude