View Single Post
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_man View Post
Thanks guys for the advice, this really helps.

It's like last night I was looking and thinking about buying a 69 Topps-Kareem rookie PSA-6 that was really nice for around $290. But then I started to look at a PSA-7 that was about $500 and I could not decide which direction to go. Now the PSA-8 is easily $2,000+ so I kind of wrote that off, b/c with the volume I plan on buying at it would just be too expensive to start buying like that.

But I could go 6 or 7 and the whole idea of do I go higher or lower came into play and lead to me seeking advice.

Overall I'm looking to buy a LOT of the major stars RC so for example in football (Brady, Manning, Montana, Rice, Elway, Marino, Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Bart Star, Johnny Unitas, etc.) Of course I'll be buying the most in cards in baseball but I think you see where I'm going with this. Major players from current back to the 50's and maybe later.

With that said unless I want to have like 60K invested in cards (which I don't) I'm going to have to be in the less than 1K (maybe mid hundreds) price range for a lot of these. However I will go over 1K for the really elite RC cards (Aaron, Mays, Clemente, Rose, Nolan Ryan, MJ, etc.)

Ok sorry for rambling on, but to the point I'm now leaning towards going with the higher grade versus lower so the Montana 9 versus the 8, the Kareem 7 versus the 6, etc. . Not looking to spend multiple 1,000s on any one card (unless it's one of the very few really elite cards) but working in that range.

I have to say I really love collecting, I don't what it is but I absolutely love the whole process and collecting these cards I dreamed of owning growing up!
Iron_Man,
In regards to you buying a PSA 6 Alcindor/Jabbar rookie compared to a PSA 7. I jumped back into collecting earlier this year and initially went with the PSA 7. I remember reading somewhere to buy the highest grade you can afford. Just like you I was not willing to shell out 2k plus for PSA 8 Jabbar rookie and settled for the 7. Then one day I realized that my 7 did not look near as good as this PSA 6 that I was looking at. I eventually sold my 7 and purchased the 6 because it was more appealing to my eye.

I would suggest that you do your homework before buying any of your mid to high-end rookies. Look at the VCP data. If you have not joined I would suggest that you do. I have used it and it has paid for itself already. Don't just look at the prices on VCP but look at images that have sold. The image can tell you a lot about why that PSA 7 went for the price it did (centering, sharp corners, etc..) If you are patient you can get some good buys which means you will be able to potentially resell without taking a big hit. I was able to resell my PSA 7 and break about even (adding in Ebay fees). It is safe to say that what you think you really like today can and most likely will change at some point. This has been my experience. Take it for what is worth. One persons opinion. Good luck and most importantly enjoy the journey.