View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 02:02 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Correct me if I am wrong, but what is now "generally accepted" as the definition of a rookie card is the first widely distributed, major league card of a player. How did this definition evolve? Remember that prior to the mid-1980's rookie card was not something talked about. The rookie card craze really started with the Mattingly rookie and the Griffey Jr rookie. This was a way for dealers to sell cards for more money. At this point it was really the first card of a player. Virtually all cards were widely distributed and virtually all cards were major league cards. It was only after this that the rookie card discussion started extending back to pre-war cards. However, for dealers and auctioneers to make much money selling these pre-war rookie cards there would have to be a good supply of a player's rookie. Widely distributed needed to be added to the definition for this very reason. If the Just So Young was considered his rookie card then how could most dealers make money on this; there weren't enough copies around. Worse still, people might not collect rookie cards if they knew they could never get some of the key players. This would hurt these dealers even more. So, widen the definition. Major league instead of just first card--same thing. Suddenly, something that never required a definition had one. If the hobby lets those with a monetary interest set the rules the end result will not be good. For me, the M101 Ruth is not his rookie--the Baltimore News is. Same for the Just So a Young, the N167 or Kalamazoo Bat Ewing and the N172 Kid Nichols.