View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Ryan Christoff

I'm not a fan of all the bid retractions, but I think it's important to point out that nothing like that happened for this particular auction. All of the bids were real. In fact, Phil has said that he only does that for the ice cream collectibles and not baseball items. Phil started the thread, so that's the only reason all of this came up in the first place, but before he gets completely thrown under the bus for his questionable eBay bidding tactics, keep in mind that we're not talking about shill bidding or anything even close to rising to that level. Is it okay? Not in my opinion. But again, I don't buy or sell ice cream memorabilia. On the ice cream memorabilia forum, everyone can be pissed. But I've done numerous deals with Phil and not one has been the least bit shady or questionable. If any other board members have had negative dealings with him or know of him retracting bids on baseball cards or memorabilia, by all means let us know. But he already explained why he does it, and, more importantly, that he doesn't do it on the stuff that relates to this forum. Don't mistake this for me condoning bid retractions because I've never done it and I don't think it's okay to do. But half of the guys now judging Phil for retracting some bids on ice cream memorabilia probably still bid with Legendary or do business with guys like JP Cohen and other quality characters within the hobby.

-Ryan