View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I personally don't care if it's from 1905 or 1930 - all I was doing was attempting to provide you with some information that might help you.

I'm glad you managed to date the photos to the period that you wanted them to be from. Regarding fonts, you could ask someone like Steve B, but I'm sure there is a way of placing an 'earliest' date on these fonts. Hopefully it's 1912 or earlier.
I'm actually really bad on fonts. I can usually pick out ones that look wrong for the era, but far from 100% and I usually can't say exactly why other than it just looks wrong. (Ok, maybe if someone used a late 60's album cover font on a teens advertising piece I could say why, although I found out one of those fonts was actually from the 1890's )

There was someone who seemed to know fonts but I don't recall who. Like knows fonts by name and date of introduction - that sort of knows

Using old photos even when newer ones were available was really common. Especially if the producer of the item had paid for a photo earlier and still had it to use as source material. Think T213, three sets over several years using images from a 1909-11 set where some images were older still..........

Steve B