View Single Post
Old 01-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Kory Kasler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
If they are fakes, they are very realistic! Also, why would anyone want to reproduce low value commons?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963Topps Set View Post
Perhaps the 1952 Bowmans you already have are fake and these are real, thus the contrast?
I would highly doubt that out of the 80 or so cards I have acquired out of the set, including PSA and SGC graded examples, that the contrast is due to a collection of fakes on my end. Would be quite a feat to buy 80 counterfeit cards from a variety of sellers and end up with a collection of nothing but fakes.

I questioned the reasoning behind someone reproducing low-value cards, but I was unsure, simply because there were a number of high-numbers in their offerings, and I wasn't sure.

What really threw me off and had me questioning were the large rosettes that appeared in the photos. Not a single '52 Bowman I've ever seen has shown those printing patterns - but it's looking like those are a result of an odd scanning phenomenon rather than counterfeit printing.

The staining on the back is what has sold them on my end - as others have said, it would be a little more of a challenge (though not impossible) to reproduce the staining on the back of the cards that Bowman's are famous for.....so I'm convinced they are in fact real.

Can't blame a guy for being a little overly cautious though, right?