View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Rich Klein

Based on a similar thread, I wrote this column last month

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...l-cataloguing/

and a couple of comments which I used in a reader's write type article

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...er-reaction-2/

And it's funny -- the owner of Beckett believes in protecting the data (which is their right) but is not as aggressive as ensuring the new or updated "odd-ball" material is added. (Well that costs money and time as I pointed out)

Here is the email we received on January 1st

Dear Beckett Supporters

As we enter 2015, please know how much we appreciate your support. Your loyalty to our products including print magazines, online data and Beckett Grading Services is truly special and we value your allegiance.

To that end, we respectfully request your help. Unscrupulous parties truly are copying Beckett’s proprietary pricing and data and are attempting to sell it to unsuspecting collectors. While we do our best to curb data theft, every new day brings unique attempts to use Beckett.com data and pricing without authorization.

This must stop! And we believe we can stop it by working together. We are serious about protecting our data and strengthening our relationship with collectors throughout the world.

How can you help? Simply email us at watchdog@beckett.com.
•When you are contacted by a third party attempting to sell Beckett’s information.
•When you see an obvious “copy” of a Beckett price guide online.
•When someone tries to sell you data that could only come from Beckett.

How will we thank you? With a cool $500!

Every legitimate alert which culminates into identifying a culprit (subject to verification by the Beckett Vigilance Department) will earn a $500 reward for the contributor.

Thanks in advance for your support and next time you see anything fishy, please contact us at watchdog@beckett.com!

Sincerely,
The Beckett.com Watchdog Team

Last edited by Rich Klein; 01-11-2015 at 07:38 AM.