View Single Post
Old 01-19-2015, 07:23 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default New member intro

Hi guys, John in NC.

I've recently decided to make an honest attempt to get back into collecting old cards - albeit mostly 1950's and not pre-war - after a few long periods of collecting and two distinct hiatuses now since age 9. I started collecting in 1986. The cards were put away once to go to college in the mid 1990's, and again when I went back to grad school and started a family in the mid-2000's.

My objectives this time around are first and foremost to stick to some collecting goals! (This is something I've never been so good with in the past). Current interests:

1. Working on 1955 and '56 Topps sets in VG-ish condition. (I've been down the road of attempting to collect only high grade cards before and found that was a good way to get pretty neurotic fast - why am I looking at card corners under a magnifying glass at 2 am?? Why can't I just enjoy this card with a crease anyway like I would have as a kid??) I digress. I'm off to a decent start here as I already have a '55 Jackie Robinson and a '56 Mantle and Ted Williams. :-)

2. Slowly start replacing some of the vintage star cards I had collected as a kid which somehow got away over the years. I recall a '58 Mantle / Aaron and a '54 Bowman Campanella...no, none of these cards were PSA 9's.

3. ANY Brooklyn Dodgers cards. I grew up a Cubs fan (that's another whole sidebar we won't get into...) but my one deviation has always been a fascination for "Dem Bums" of old- a team that vanished from existence a full 20 years before I was even born.

Beyond that, just interested to start pouring over what appears to be a VAST wealth of information and knowledge on this site. I see that Rich Klein and Bob Lemke post here - very cool. Mr. Lemke, I have the 2nd issue of Baseball Cards magazine from 1981, where you talk about collecting the Johnston's Cookies Braves and other regional stuff. How I wish I could have been the age I am now in 1981 to pickup some old cards at those prices. :-)

Anyway, looking forward to it!

Regards,
-John