Thread: Instant Classic
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 AM
Bill Gregory

The Seahawks won because their defense was healthy, and Aaron Rodgers was not. That's what it boils down to.

A big part of what makes Rodgers so dangerous is that he's a great pocket passer, AND he's the best quarterback in the NFL at creating when the play breaks down. He can go off script, and his receivers are outstanding at doing that with him. He couldn't do that at all on that Sunday. Almost half of his game as a quarterback was taken away, so all the secondary had to do was sit back in pass coverage. They weren't forced to chase the Packer receivers around like they would have been because Rodgers couldn't get outside the pocket . They never had to worry about Rodgers taking off. A healthy Rodgers forces those corner backs and safeties to make decisions--to I stay in coverage, and let Rodgers run for 20 yards, or do I come up on him, and hope he crosses the line of scrimmage, so he can't stop, and throw the ball over my head.

If Rodgers is healthy, he doesn't force a throw into the back of the endzone for a pick. That throw was made out of frustration, not because Seattle was doing anything exceptional, but because his body couldn't do what he wanted to do. Tell Russell Wilson "you can't run today", and how do you think he does? He had his legs for that game, and was playing against a defense that everybody else said was so vastly inferior to Seattle's defense. And he got smacked down.

And I love Russell Wilson to death, but all the fawning over him needs to stop. He showed in that game that he is very mortal, that he can be rattled. A healthy Rodgers hits Randall Cobb in stride on that pass play over the middle of the field, and Cobb would have been gone. Nobody in the Seahawk secondary was going to catch him at full speed. And that would have put Seattle away, because their offense was not only doing nothing, but they were dejected.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 01-28-2015 at 04:46 AM.