View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescooper View Post
Tell the auctioneer I am sure he would be happy to know he is not selling fake stuff
This ^

I have told the local auctioneers on several occasions when they are selling fake stuff. One did not like it so much. It was a consignment auction and I notified him beforehand that the dead mint 1950s Mickey Mantle cards he would be selling that night were fake, not only that but they were on a table loaded with fake flea marketeer junk including Civil War relics. He simply told me that auctions are buyer beware...so when the items came up for bid I just announced loudly that they were fakes...he gave me a death glare and then announced that he didn't know whether they were real or not and you take your own risk when bidding. I get along okay with this auctioneer, but he's definitely known as a snake around these parts.

Another auction house here in town actually seeks out my knowledge on sports memorabilia and I notified them that the autographs they were selling with Christopher Morales COA's were 100% fake they pulled the items from the auction. Another auction house uses me to assess collections of sports memorabilia (and collectible or antique toys) for divorces. Lucky me gets to make a court appearance on March 10th because the wife believes her husband's autograph collection (all without certs) and baseball cards are worth $50,000+...I assessed it at $3,000, and I think he'd be lucky to get that if it went to a local auction.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 03-02-2015 at 11:04 PM.