View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

As a 9 year old I collected autographs at the 1957 Phillies spring training games. The visiting teams were accessible between the clubhouse and the bus after the games. Most were willing signers. The Phillies were always around as well. Then the Dodgers came to town.

After the game I approached every Dodger on the way to the bus after the game. All of them refused to sign my book. There I was standing beside the bus looking like the dejected kid in the original Mean Joe Greene commercial for Coke.

Then the window of the bus opened and the guy at the window said, "Kid, give me your book to sign." I passed it up to the window and waited. The team had already been on the bus for awhile and my greatest fear was that the bus would leave with my autograph book. It seemed like forever and my anxiety grew, when finally the window opened and my book was returned. Soon after the bus departed.

I opened the book to see Duke Snider, Carl Furillo, Roger Craig, Clem Labine, Joe Pignatano, Don Newcombe, Sal Maglie, Walter Alston, Ralph Branca and Roy Campanella (one year before his tragic accident).

I don't know who opened the window, probably Pignatano, but after complete rejection the Dodgers came through for me on the bus. And i still have the book.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.