View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 07:04 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Keeping My Interest in the Hobby:

Now that I have collected almost every card I have ever wanted, I frequently have to search for new interests within the BBC hobby.

In this age of specialization, I have devoted sub-sections of my collections to players with local ties, players who have achieved rare single-game feats, and the sub-section that inspires this thread, player with whom I share a birthday:

This past week, ESPN aired a report on Notre Dame senior forward, Patrick Connaughton, who is also a minor league pitcher. When I pulled up his player profile, I saw that he, too, was born on January 6.

Besides immediately searching EBAY for a Connaughton card (even though he's a minor leaguer right now), I remembered that I had not checked my 'Birthday' search on BaseballReference.Com in a whiie.

While I have collected cards of most of the players with my birthday, there were some that I did not think I would ever purchase.

My membership on New54 spurred my T206 pursuit, but I had put the birthday search aside some time prior and actually overlooked a player represented in the set who did, indeed, share my birthday. I am happy to know that I have both of the T206 players born on January 6th:

T206 LAKE A.jpgT206 SGC 60 Billy Purtell.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 03-22-2015 at 07:34 PM.