View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM

Default I found Jim Jeffries personal photo collection

A couple of years ago, I cleared out the estate of an elderly family member including a box of photographs of old time boxers. Each had handwritten captions identifying it as a playing card, i.e.; "Trainor and Tighe - Fighting Bob's Best Middleweights (8 Clubs)"

These are the originals that Jim Jeffries chose for the "Jim Jeffries Souvenir Playing Cards Set"; his way of promoting the Jeffries v. Johnson "Great White Hope" bout of 1910.There is a very good showing of those cards at GoldinAuctions>
http://goldinauctions.com/1909-jim-j...-lot6063.aspx#

There are fifty cards, each with Jim Jeffries' handwriting that designates the caption, suit and rank. Also in the box were about forty Dana Postcards of the Johnson-Jeffries fight, and six other boxers with the names written on the back by Jeffries (Attell, Papke, Memsic, Jack Sullivan, Joe Gans and Tommy McFarland)

These may belong in the boxing hall of fame. or I'd love to see them used as a documentary of our first great pro athletes, white and African American. Check the six-of-clubs: “Fredericks-Rafferty “ A Pair Of Uncle Sam's Best Featherweights” - one guy is boxing in a jock strap and the other has an athletic supporter on the outside of his trunks! It's quaint, sweet and a bit gay.

I want them appraised, but by who? There is nothing like them. They are not boxing cards, Provenance suggests they are Jeffries' own collection.

I attach a jpg of Jeffries designated as Joker, which you could compare to the actual card shown by the GoldinAuctions.com link - the Joker in in the box top-right. and The Six of Clubs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J Jeffries Card.jpg (88.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Joker - Jim Jeffries_marked.jpg (68.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 6 of Clubs.jpg (69.6 KB, 206 views)