Thread: Why Baseball??
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2015, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
More then any other sport, I have a tendency to think about the past as the current game goes on. Maybe it is the lull between pitches, but it gives me time to compare players of the past, with the current rosters.
The many new players who get their chance in the bigs, and to see if they measure up. I have a tendency to keep an eye on those players, and pull for them. Right now, I am watching the Tigers, and this new kid, J.D. Martinez is one such player, so I will use him as an example.
I pull for this kid, and see potential. What he did last year was great, for a first year player who one team gave up on, and this kid was given a second chance and did not waste it. Can he do it again?
Things like this is what makes baseball to me.
You can still feel the games of the past, which has pretty much stayed the same all these years. The one on one battle between the Pitcher and Hitter. Then all of a sudden comes the crack of the bat. And you are back in Mudville, Casey has just made contact, this time, no strike out. The crowd is on their feet, back goes the center fielder, at the fence he leaps, I now find myself on my feet, did he catch it or not?
In that moment, time is frozen, and the two seconds for the announcer to make the call seems forever. This kid, this new Casey, J.D. Martinez has just put it out. Yessss!. with my fist pumping. Good for the kid. Good for Mudville.
This is what I like.

+1 Right on comments