View Single Post
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 PM
David Kathman

Default Brown vs. black Lenox

Among the five T206s I got back in the late 70s and early 80s, and kept loose in boxes along with my other cards, were two with Lenox backs, Schaefer and Wiltse. I didn't know at the time how scarce they were. The other three were a Tolstoi and two Polar Bears; I never had a Piedmont or Sweet Caporal T206 until I got back into collecting in the early 90s.

I've heard about these brown Lenox T206s, but to be honest, when I've seen pictures, I've had a hard time distinguishing them from regular black Lenox T206s, including my two. REA has a brown Lenox Willis in their current auction, but I have a hard time telling from the photo that the ink is supposed to be brown as opposed to black. Maybe it's just the photo.

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=33731

REA also had a brown Lenox T206 of Wiltse in last spring's auction -- the same as one of my Lenoxes, but in much better condition -- and I also have a hard time telling that it's brown ink as opposed to a variant of the usual black ink:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...pring/369.html

Here is a picture of the back of my T206 Lenox of Schaefer, next to a Cycle 350 that's definitely black ink, and a Broad Leaf 350 and a Hindu that are definitely brown ink:

The contrast between the brown and black ink is actually easier to see in person, so I can see how that might be a factor in my confusion. Now here's the same picture with my other Lenox back (Wiltse) on top of the Cycle 350:

It's obviously much lighter than the other Lenox, but it's also not really the same color as the Broad Leaf and Hindu cards next to it. I wonder, though, whether it's similar to the color of the "brown" Lenoxes from the REA auctions. I guess it would be necessary to examine the cards in person to be more certain. Here are my two Lenoxes side by side:

Are there any pictures of brown Lenox T206s out there where the contrast in color with a black Lenox is more obvious?