View Single Post
Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Dan Mabey

Default 1963P Baseball Counterfeits, Replicas, and Reprints

Hi, Peter.

Once upon a time, there was an outcry from collectors and dealers in the hobby pertaining to the subject issue. I vividly remember heated and animated debates opposing the practice beginning in 1975 that were aired in TS, BHN, and SCD and (as we used to refer to them) baseball card shows.

Initially, the relatively few proponents of generating fake cards and memorabilia stated it was a wonderful way to expose and allow newbies to enjoy cards they couldn't find or afford. As time progressed, the investment and speculation aspects of baseball card collecting precipitated recasting of this once relatively innocent pastime into the "organized" hobby, then the "sports card industry". This evolution opened the door for introduction of professional grading services, to supposedly lend a an air of sophistication, legitimacy, and policing of the industry. Once again, there was heated debate.

I never engaged in the debate, but my perspective never changed. I acquired genuine "raw" cards. I paid and traded for genuine cards in conditions I could afford. I couldn't afford then -- let alone now -- many cards I would have enjoyed having in my collection. I also didn't feel I needed an executive in a suit with a briefcase to lecture me on card conditions, or convince me that only professionally graded cards encased in plastic tombs could be enjoyed or declared to have value.

Fortunately, I had completed the majority of the major bubble gum, cookie, and marble baseball card issues by 1983. The timing was perfect for me to delve into food issues, because nobody seemed to care about them, they were cheap, and a challenge to complete sets. That is how I got started on the Post and JELL-O journey that I began in my youth. What's more -- you found throwback collectors, wonderful old-time salts who openly shared their stories and knowledge, and it was FUN!

Your comment about folks exploiting the Post and JELL-O cards by replicating them is sad but predictable. It is simply a reflection of the world in which we live. I harbor no resentment or anger toward people who engage in the practice, but feel badly that they are not experiencing the true joy of friendships and perhaps denying current collectors the satisfaction that may be found in pursuing "real" cards.

Your post about replicas and the opportunity for misuse of the Aaron error card prompts me to edit the image. I'll see if I can alter it, but still retain its character for enjoyment of the Post cereal baseball card community.

Keep me Posted!

Dan