View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM
David Kathman

Mesquite --

Welcome! I'm a relative newcomer here myself (joined in February), and I don't spend much time in the post-war forums, but there's plenty of activity there (especially the 1945-1980 one), and I'm sure you'll be welcomed with open arms.

I'm a few years older than you (my childhood collecting years were 1976-82), but I also got back into it in 1991. I did buy a wax box of Topps and collect the set that year just for kicks, but I soon focused on older cards, which I had already started to get into in my early teens. I now have a couple of thousand pre-war tobacco and caramel cards (baseball and nonsport) and several thousand advertising trade cards from the late 19th century. About 10-15 years ago I decided to collect cards from the decade between when I was born (1966) and when I started collecting, because those were the bulk of the older cards that circulated when I was a kid. I now have complete Topps sets from 1968 (my favorite as a kid), 1974, and 1975, and near-sets of the other years from 1967-76. I also got the Topps sets from 1983-90 and some Fleer and Donruss sets from those years, but of course cards from that era are crazy plentiful and not worth much.