View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

A couple thoughts.

1. I remember when I was a kid...my mom was against my collecting, but her boyfriend would say, "Who knows, Marsha...someday his cards may pay for his college education!" Well, in my case, it didn't happen...in an all too familiar storyline, my mom threw my cards away sometime around middle school. But here you are, fulfilling the prophecy!

2. Have been thinking about the idea that "experiences are the new stuff" and how we're the last people it applies to. We collectors are all about amassing stuff and tend to view experiences along the lines of..."hmm, I could go to Vegas with my friends, but I could get a 1954 Bowman Ted Williams for the same money." But as I read your post, Leon, I wondered if maybe the active experience of collecting all your great cards was in fact the real joy, whereas the having of these same cards was less valuable. I hope so, since the memories of the experience can stay with you forever.

Thanks for giving me a place to share my kid hobby with other grownups. And good luck to your daughter. Education is a good choice, though the cards could have also made one hell of a dowry!

Jason

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/