View Single Post
Old 05-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Curt

1) I mainly collect Dodgers and most specifically Steve Garvey, but have dabbled in other players in the past. I have stuck with some on a casual basis but many are stagnant. Some others that I put decent effort into at one time or another include Rod Carew, Willie Davis, Al Oliver, Frank Thomas & Greg Maddux.

2) I will chase just about anything Garvey related but I don't worry so much about "sets". I have all of his regular issue cards from his playing years and most of the basic issues post retirement. With all the parallels and inserts, it becomes impossible to get everything, so i try to keep it within reason financially.

3) I couldn't pick any singular item, as there is usually something just as cool later that excites me after the effect of the last item fades. The favorite of the moment is usually an obscure oddball item that is not collected in the mainstream. You can check out the blog I started a few years back for some highlights. I don't post new entries often these days though.

http://1978theyearitallbegan.blogspot.com

As with just about anyone else here, ARL-bishop has a few items that I would love to own and I get to see them posted quite frequently. Any one of those (2 specifically - the puffy sticker sheet and the 80 Coin) would become my newest favorite if I ever obtained either. I had a shot at both items at one point and missed out.

4) Thankfully, Garvey is not typically a top tier $$ item, unless it is one of the newest, artificially rare issues. I still try for those, but if someone wants to spend $300-600 on a 1/1 patch or barrel card, by all means, go for it. I won't get in your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCoxon View Post
Would love to hear how others collect:
1) What player(s) or teams do you collect?
2) How long did it take you to amass your basic sets? Master sets?
3) What was the "coolest" pick up for your player collection?
4) Did you, like me, wait to pick up the "highest dollar" card last?