View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Default Bob Feller

As a Cleveland Indians collector, you can't help but run into Bob Feller in your collection. I don't think I set out to collect him specifically, but the more I got to know his story, I was drawn to his cards and collectibles even more. Feller has something for everyone: A genuine war hero, Ambassador of Baseball, Hall of Famer, and Cleveland Indians great. His career spanned "pre-war" and "post-war" quite literally as he was off to serve his country in between. With all of his endorsements and savvy business dealings, his image or likeness are virtually everywhere on collectibles from the period in which he played and for many years thereafter. Just when I think I've seen it all, something new and exciting pops up on eBay or at the local Flea Market, which means I am constantly adding items to my Bob Feller want list. In a good month I strike another item or two off that list.

I would see him at various card shows when I was growing up, but I didn't appreciate who he was or his accomplishments until I was much older. When I was a kid I thought it was a joke that his auto was everywhere and not worth a lot of money. Now I can see that he was an accessible, inspirational superstar, and he turned me into a lifelong fan of the game and of my Tribe.