View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Marty

Default Feats

Hi Al! A little confusing to say the least! I will share what I think is the history of all of the Great Feats sets, and a scan of each.

In 1971, Bob started working on a Great Feats set to be used by Fleer as the “bottom boards” (as Fleer called them) for the 1972 sticker set. At some point, Fleer got spooked off by the 1971 Topps Great Moments set, and canceled the planned 1972 set. Bob created a very small print run of the smaller sized Great Feats cards, and issued the set himself. This set consisted of 40 players and 1 header card. He redesigned the cards, added 10 more, and issued the larger red set later in 1972 (50 plus a header). Apparently, they were able to work out the legal concerns and Fleer issued their 40 card Famous Feats set in 1973 (even though it has a 1972 copyright date on the back) and used many of the same subjects that Bob had used in his independently sold set – I am guessing a few players did not come to terms, so a few new players had to be added to the Fleer set. Bob did a third issue of his Great Feats set in 1975 – the blue and flesh tones version – again containing 50 subjects and a header card. In the 1980/1981 time frame, Bob issued the “second series” of Famous Feats totaling 40 cards. These were sold in sets, or could later be purchased in 4 series of 10 cards at toy stores (like Toys-R-Us). Then, in the early to mid-eighties, the 22 card sticker back version was issued by Fleer as an insert (as opposed to gum) in some packs and with update/factory sets, I believe. Al, you mention that you can see a difference between some of these cards that would push them into two separate years – I am guessing that there is something on the sticker side that would indicate that the years are different? Again, I haven’t looked too closely at the yellow version – I have a set and a bunch of singles (somewhere in the great abyss), but have not looked at the stickers to see if I can distinguish a year. Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img992.jpg (78.1 KB, 168 views)