View Single Post
Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Val Kehl

Dave,
I am pleased to welcome you to Net54, if for no other reason that I now know where a card that I badly wanted - your 1924 Diaz card of PZ - now resides! FYI, I am the under bidder who bid what I thought was an insanely high $$ amount for this Diaz PZ card when it appeared on eBay last year. And, I was shocked when I was outbid, but later, the sweet Hispanic lady in Florida who was selling the group of off-condition Diaz cards on eBay informed me that the winner of this Diaz PZ card was a relative of PZ. Damn!!

Why did I want this card so badly, you ask? Because, one of my main collecting focuses is vintage cards of all the players who were on the Washington Senators 1924 World Series championship team, regardless of whether or not they made an appearance in this WS. And, the 1924 Diaz set includes cards of many obscure pitchers, including some for whom hardly any other cards where issued during their playing days. As you well know, PZ is one such pitcher. To the best of my knowledge, your Diaz PZ is the only example of this card that is known to exist - there are no examples in the combined PSA/SGC pop reports, and this card is not checklisted in my 2011 edition of the Standard Catalog of Vintage BB Cards. Hopefully, as the US-Cuban relations continue to normalize, more Diaz cards will surface.

As far as I am aware, only 3 cards of PZ were issued during his playing career, and each has already been presented in this thread.

I thought about trying to win the decent PSA 2 Holland Creameries PZ card that recently sold on eBay to upgrade my pathetic example of this card (seen below), but I decided that this nice card would look out of place in my collection, inasmuch as most of my other Diaz cards are just as pathetic-looking as my PZ card!

It was most kind of Rhett Yeakley to show you an example of PZ's 1932 Zeenut card. But, I am going to do you one better - I am hereby offering this exact card to you!! You see, Rhett traded this exact card to me a couple of years ago, and then, last year, I acquired an example of this PZ card with the coupon still attached (seen below) - hence, I no longer have need for the card I got from Rhett - if you are interested in it, kindly email me at ekehl333@aol.com.

Regards,
Val Kehl