View Single Post
Old 07-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
"More specific to our hobby, remember that many T206 cards, righteously loved by collectors today, ended up on the sidewalks outside of smoke shops. No one would have considered them investment worthy. Similar stories can be told about many, if not most, old sets."

And that is precisely the point. Those cards are valuable today for the very reason that a small percentage of them, for a variety of reasons, survived. I don't believe you can just create value by manufacturing scarcity in an era when there is a fully developed market for cards and the overwhelming majority are preserved in original condition. I think the same holds true for all the allegedly rare versions of modern cards, although at least some of those have some significance as rookie cards and not fantasy cards.

That said, they are well done.
+1. I think they might hold their value as beautiful art pieces but collecting them according to man-made scarcity usually doesn't increase value in my experiences. Great artwork and great organization. Wonderful product. And I ordered the new magazine too.....