Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 08:08 PM
Joe Gonsowski

This is a double post for me, having already posted it to the baseball card side, but it probably belongs here more than anywhere . . .

I have been thrilled to have Graig Kreindler work his magic on the most beloved Detroit Wolverine, Charlie Bennett. Charlie was one of two players to play every year of the Wolves existence (1881-1888; Ned Hanlon being the other) and the city was proud to have one of the game’s best in Detroit. During his early years, Charlie would lead the team in most offensive categories and throughout his career lead the whole League in defensive categories, recognized as the best defensive catcher of his time. Charlie’s popularity would extend well beyond his playing days when he returned to Detroit after a train accident took both of his legs and cut his career short (January 10th, 1894). When the Western League Detroit Tigers brought baseball back to Detroit in 1896 the new ball park, by popular vote, would be named Bennett Park. The Tigers would graduate from Western League to American League in 1901 and Bennett Park remained their home through the 1911 season when owner Frank Navin built a new larger stadium with his own namesake. Bennett Park would see some outstanding Tiger teams (1907-1909 AL Champs) and Charlie remained a fixture on the Detroit baseball scene, catching the first pitch of every home opener from 1896 through 1926 (excluding 1898 due to sickness). He was often joined by his close friends and old teammates, Sam Thompson and Lady Baldwin. Bennett would pass November 1926.

The 12”x16” oil painting is based on a portrait of Charlie taken by Tomlinson Studio on April 27th, 1886. The painting was put on hold half-finished for the better part of a year as we tried to confirm the proper colors. Everything was painted in high confidence with possible exception to the “DETROIT” lettering which is likely accurate in red for the “away” 1886 uniform Charlie is wearing. Several references were found and documented on Craig Brown’s “Threads of Our Game” site (fantastic resource for early baseball jersey renditions). Here is the entry for the 1886 Detroit uniforms.

The painting is impressive in person; my cell phone camera doesn’t do it justice. I’ve also attached the cabinet photo it is based on.

Thank you Graig Kreindler!

- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers

Last edited by Joe_G.; 12-28-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: corrected size of painting