View Single Post
Old 01-15-2016, 07:27 AM
Kev1n @1les

Quote:
For me, the stock market has almost no affect on my spending as it has no direct correlation to my disposable income. Gas prices, however, have had a wonderful affect on my spending!

I am waaay oversimplifying and am by every consideration, a novice on the financial markets. However, my advisor told me that it is a tad ironic with the oil price decline. The decline is causing a massive drop in energy stocks which (along with the China issue) is driving stock market declines. Meanwhile, it is driving much cheaper gas - especially when adjusted for inflation. So, the people that can "afford" gas prices in the upper $2 to low $3 range (not necessarily like it, but it doesn't change their lives), tend to have more money in the market - and the upside in cheap gas does not offset the downside in their net worth. The folks that need low gas prices, don't have the same level of market investment. You would think that increase in discretionary spending would make its way to retail shelves and drive earnings and share prices for companies - but we are not yet seeing that lag. In a way it reminds me of the way the market works with layoffs. When a company annouces 2000 layoffs, their stock price usually shoots up. However, when aggregate job losses are annouced on the quarter, the market dips. So, the street likes when companies have layoffs but when they all add up, they don't line the total decrease in jobs - as if they are separated from each other.

Quote:
I've just noticed I'm not as in a spending mood after seeing red day after day. I would think that would be the case for most card collectors who have money in the markets.
^^^^ This for me. I have a junior in high school and his 529 portfolio was red for '15. It would have done better in a 1% savings account or buried in the back yard. I believe in market performance over time, but I am running out of months until he goes and I need the power of compound interest to offset the seemingly inelastic pricing of a college education. Knowing that monster is staring me in the eye (with 11 consecutive years with the younger two), it becomes a philosophical conversation with my wife if we are forced to cash flow college to keep from selling low on the investments in the early years - therefore, I try to be a responsible adult as much as I want to continue to grow the collection.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set

Last edited by kailes2872; 01-15-2016 at 07:28 AM.