View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 06:24 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
To me, it is almost certainly Williams in both photos. Look at the earlobes and the corners of the mouth - those features are identical in the Williams shots, but much different in Herman's images. From what I have read about Herman, he wasn't the kind of guy who would go out of his way to look at his cards, or care what was on them. And, as common players, neither guy's mixed up card pics would likely have drawn much notice, in 1952 or even years later. So now, a sharp-eyed Net54'er points out the mistake - I don't think the reaction will be any more than a few yawns among vintage collectors.
Finally, someone agrees!!! I have to laugh at all the people who have visited this thread and said it's not Dick Williams. I am very close to 100% sure it is him, but the naysayers will continue to pile on. I just don't get it.

It's also important to note that the cards aren't actual photographs, they are artistic interpretations of photographs, so they aren't perfect likenesses of the players, but they are very close. It's plain as day to me that the Herman card features the same person in the Williams card. All the features of his face, (except for a bit of pudginess, which could simply be the result of the photo being taken from a bad angle from below his face), eyes, ears, mouth, hair, chin, etc. point to Williams. And that smile and general appearance of a very happy person is quite consistent between the two pics. Plus, most of us were familiar with Dick WIlliams in the 70's, so we have a great sense of what he really looked like (albeit a bit older).

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.