View Single Post
Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Hank Thomas

Overall, I think the GOTT in its totality probably paints as even-handed a picture of Cobb during his playing days as you are going to find. And the audio goes beyond the words to give you the feeling behind them. There's great admiration for his talent and drive and also several strong defenses of his base running style, including by Crawford. Davy Jones sympathetically points to the killing of Cobb's father by his mother as a possible explanation for his rage at the world. I think Rube Bressler probably summed up his relationship with his peers best when he said, very simply: "They didn't like him, but he didn't care. He roomed alone." As for Crawford and Jones, while you might theorize about jealousy or payback in their stories and descriptions of his behavior, I think it would be a big mistake to discount them completely or even very much. They were all on the same team for a very long time, and they saw him as much as anybody. As with almost all of Ritter's subjects, there's an authenticity in their voices, a determination to tell him as best their memories could provide how it really was to be there.