View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 08:03 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Ted, Your cataloging and collecting the T206 sets that you have in the past (particularly those elusive Sovereign reverses) is more than noteworthy; it must have been an odyssey, an expensive but highly satisfying one. You probably know much more about the famous Doyle history than I, but I do recall when I first starting sniffing around T206's (around 3 yrs old), there was no such error card. I believe, as the story goes, Larry Fritch ran across one with the Nat'l designation and then put an ad in SCD to buy any and all such cards and, voila, 1 or 2 appeared from the woodwork and a very expensive baseball card was born. Don't you love this s#@t? Ted, do you remember when Keith O., Alan Rosen (who?) and SGC all got into a 3 way dog fight about a graded Doyle Nat'l that had been altered, and not very well.
As I recall, it got very nasty. John

Hi John

I well recall that Rosen / KO fiasco. I was at the BB card show in Philadelphia where the setting for that scenario began. It was the Summer of 1990 (or 1991), Alan Rosen
had his usual booth at the entrance of the show. And, 707Sportscards were at the nearby booth.

An original collection of T206's in an album "walks-in" to Rosen. As usual Rosen quickly flips thru the plastic pages, and asked the guy what he wanted for the entire album
of T206's. The guy replies with a number, and Rosen says...."too much".

Then the guy walks over to 707Sportscards, and Jimmy carefully looks thru the cards in the album. He spots the Doyle Nat'l card in it. And of course, 707Sportscards buys
this T206 collection.

Rosen finds out about this and goes "ballistic" ! Whatever, this story gets crazier. That same weekend, another guy approaches Rosen with some T206's. And, guess what ?
Included in this lot of cards is another Doyle Nat'l card ! !

What is the probability of "lightning striking twice" at the same show ? ? In 1990, only 5 legitimate cards of the Doyle Nat'l card were known in the hobby.

I guess Rosen was so anxious to get this Doyle card, that he didn't see that it was an obvious fake. He bought it and flipped it to KO. And, the rest is history.

TED Z