View Single Post
Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

My first T206 was bought around 1975 from Rich Gedman's Card collectors company. It was a random card, I think for a dollar or so and it was a Snodgrass. In the early 80s i bought a group or about 150 including lower tier hall of famers, all low grade for $100. At one point my goal was to get a contemporaneous card of each hall of fame. The most accessible were the T206s so I knocked off most of the major hall of famers that way without a conscious effort to be working toward a T206 set. As a shop owner I bought the Cobb, Lajoie, and others. I looked up and was suddenly over 400 and decided to do a set of at least one version of each card...next thing you knew I started buying and trading and was up over 400..so I went for the full 518 set with considerable help from Ted and Marc Delpercio. Please note this is a low grade set, but not a bad set. There area a couple of terrific cards, Young pitching and Shag, especially. Anyhow I "accidentally" picked up a trimmed Demmitt...the guy who had it just didn't want it any more and offered it to me for some of my dupes...so I figured, "why not." I finished up by buying a very low grade O'hara and have a 520. The last card I needed for the set was Milan, mainly because I somehow overlooked it.