View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Steve Kennedy

Default 1939 Centennial of Baseball Glasses in a GRUNGY Box great story

Just when you think you know the history or how something was made and by who.
Bam your back to square one.

My story:
For more than forty years I have collected 1939 Centennial of Baseball ephemera www.1939baseball.com. In 1981 at the Willow Grove Show, when knowledge was free for the asking, and cards were on the cusp of insanity, I bought a set of 1939 Centennial glasses in a box from Tom Reed. The All American Board of Baseball (Babe Ruth) selected the annual baseball team and the 1938 team was used for the Baseball Centennial Glasses. I stored the grunge box and hung on to it for all these years for whatever reason. Yesterday I goggled 1939 baseball centennial just to see where my web site was listed (first as usual) and looked at images, there was a listing from MEARS Auction House for a set of Centennial Glasses and with what they believed was the original box sold in 2011. Wow I though where is my box up to the attic to find it and my grungy box is the same but with a label printed on the outside. Manufactured by the Superior Paper Co. Pittsburgh PA. --NON - TEST-- ..39..
I thought they were promotional item at the 1939 New York Worlds Fair as a souvenir of Christy Walsh's Academy of Sport Pavilion or at the Esso Gas Station as a premium for buying gas and I believed the glasses were made by the Libby glass Co.
So now I am re-thinking who made them and how were they distributed. Because, of the grungy box stored in the attic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9d-Superior Paper Products Co. Centennial Glasses Box.jpg (73.3 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg Apr11&01.JPG (64.6 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 9c- Academy of Sport Libby Glasses Esso Souviner.jpg (77.6 KB, 249 views)