View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I think it depends what is on the tables.

I do believe 100 plus tables pretty much guarantees a great show for collectors to find what they need

Rich
If you can assure collectors there's going to be some "good stuff" on the tables--they will come. You must get the word out, however.

To get those good dealers with the "good stuff"---you'll need to assure them you're going to get the word out.

The good stuff costs. Any, and I mean ANY, unreasonable expectations that the dealer must offer his good stuff at rock bottom prices is downright stupid. I understand that prices for the good stuff have spiked to dizzying heights, in some instances. That's why we have VCP, eBay, and our own big mouth to say, "yes, I'll buy it" or "no thanks, that's just too high for me."

For most of the cherished stuff I still have in my collection, I paid at the high or set some record for that item. At the very least, I didn't haggle beyond the first question. However, since I speak from 25 - 30 years ago, that's another thing, monetarily. Regardless, the same modus operandi works the best today; to wit, if you want a good card, you had better prepare to pay a good price.

Otherwise, after a few years, you shan't have much to show for all your hunting, save for a few centered lesser condition graded cards.

Naturally, I have been speaking from the collector's point of view.

Is there anyone willing to share what they as a dealer of "good stuff" want from a show promoter, in order to load up their merchandise, travel to your show, set up, pay hotel and food bills, plus table fees of course, and be there for collectors to look and hopefully buy their wares?

---Brian Powell