View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 AM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
This sentiment always bugged me. Like the card companies were printing cards that nobody wanted in order to depress the market later. The boom hit, everyone though that cards were an investment for the future. Put away a case for $100 and in 30 years voila you're rich. Think about what that meant in 1986. They were looking at a 1956 Case (Or Box, or pack, or even card) and thinking: "wow If I buy now in thirty years that could be me." So EVERYONE did it. Even complete non-card people bought cases and squirreled them away. the Card companies didn't go crazy they met the crazy demand, and what red blooded American company that has very little stake in the after market wouldn't do the same???
The bonkers statement stems from the fact that each company was putting out 3-5 sets of cards. I could not collect them all and grew tired. Yes, the demand was there and I don't begrudge the card companies for trying to make a buck. As a collector who was used to putting one Topps set together, the sheer amount of material out there was overwhelming. I stopped purchasing cards and started diving into autographs and memorabilia.

No, the card companies don't have a stake in the after market but they probably should have thought about what happens when the bubble bursts. How many card companies from the 90's are left? Last I checked, Topps has an MLB exclusive. Greed for lack of a better word, is not always good.

Last edited by Huck; 07-12-2016 at 11:18 AM.