Thread: '65 Topps Banks
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 07:45 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default '65 Topps Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclpads View Post
Not to be a contrarian, but I always felt this was one his worst looking cards. I mean why the super tight close-up where even his hat is cropped? Why didn't the photog zoom in even tighter to show all the pores in his face? Sorry, just a lousy image of Mr. Cub.

Valid opinion, and why I posted the thread. Hard to say 50 years on why Topps used that shot, I would imagine. I don't know, but it's possible that the original pic and variants of it are still around somewhere, sometimes this kind of thing comes up in the Topps vault auctions, though to my knowledge nothing like that exists for this particular card. Interesting different collectors and their take on things like this. Another example is the '73 Topps Johnny Bench card, which is also one of my favorites. The card pictures Bench in full catching gear, running almost into the other team's dugout to catch a foul ball. His back is turned and you can't see his face at all. I love the card, it's a great action shot - but was surprised to learn recently just in looking online that there are many collectors that have quite a disdain for it - including Bench himself apparently, who thinks it's so bad that he refuses to sign it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-16-2016 at 08:08 AM.