View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Hot rod differentiation

I know this isn't a non-sport board, but I do want to correct the above. There were 4 hot rod sets issued, according to the Wrapper, a non sport newsletter I used to get. The 1964 hot rods were pink on gray stock, 66 cards. They were repeated in 1966 or so, with 44 cards that were pink on white stock. A third series was 1967 with orange backs, I don't have any but I have seen them. Finally, the 22 cards that came with the 1968 MB set were all yellow backs.

The backs of the 68 hot rod cards are very relevant to the 68 MB baseball cards. All yellow back hot rod cards are MB cards, period. I have about 500 total hot rod cards, and I would guess that 300 are the darker yellow (think French's mustard) and 200 are lighter yellow (lemon yellow). You can see that in some of the cards posted above. The same 60/40 percentage holds of course for the football and baseball cards as you would expect since The FB cards are also very obvious, since the regular 68 FB stock is more orange than the 68 BB stock in the first 2 series.

PSA has gotten stuck on the lighter yellow vs the darker yellow cards, to an extent. They have begun grading the darker yellow again.