View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Danny Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushihotwings View Post
I think part of the reason post war cards are outperforming pre war is name recognition. A lot of people prefer to collect players they have seen play or at least are still alive and making appearances here and there generating buzz about their legend and accomplishments. Unfortunately I think pre war collectors are a smaller group and enjoy collecting stuff that is really old and significant to their origins of the sport. The names of the players from 1900 mean absolutely nothing to 99% of people. This reflects somewhat in pricing and demand. I am just starting to get interested in pre war as I get older and enjoy the historical aspects. Most young collectors are more interested in who's hot right now. If you have been dead for a century there is little you can do to get on that hot list🙂
I totally agree with this. I love prewar and enjoy set collecting but it is pretty awesome to pick up cards of players I loved as a kid, or I've met, or my dad idolized. For example I got to hang out with Whitey Herzog, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, and Red Schoendienst in a suite at the cards game last night and now I'm totally hunting their high grade rookie cards because they were so much fun to talk to. And I'm not even a Cardinals fan. This has been a recent phenomenon, but I really enjoy the connection. Maybe it's things like this that are driving prices and maybe it's not but it is pretty awesome to collect the cards of guys that I have seen and love.