View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Mark Ness

Default New member here NEEDS MAJOR HELP!!!

Hey guys, I am SO GLAD i found this site. I wish I would have found it several weeks ago. I took a break from the hobby for about 8 years only to find out all these counterfeit PSA cards floating on ebay. I believe I may have been sold a counterfeit Pete Rose rookie recently. I will post pics later to get your guys thoughts and opinions. The serial matches PSA site and the bar code pops up as the Pete Rose I have after finding the PSA barcode app on my cell phone. I did some researching and saw a few signs to look for. I cannot tell if the top of the holder has frosted edges or wear from old age since its in the old PSA holder. I have few other cards I was passed down from my dad such as a Ted Williams that isn't worth much but was submitted by me personally about 10 years ago to PSA so I know its legit. On each corner one could argue the edges look frosted but its from old age.

I read once a PSA holder is cracked open, if you try to bend the holder it should be more flexible and not as hard as it was if it wasn't tampered with. Well my Pete Rose still seems hard when trying to bend the case. Unless the flip is legit and the holder was tampered with. A few ideas I can think of is maybe another previous owner was attempting to crack the card out to resubmit for a higher grading and changed his mind or the card inside is a real one that was trimmed so the corners look more sharp. The Rose does not look counterfeit. The blue border on top of the card matches the originals and there isn't any black outline around Rose's cap. I am sure counterfeits have gotten better but these are the only signs I know to go by.

I will try to post pics of my suspect Rose Rookie for all to see tomorrow. Thanks in advance guys. And once again, I am so glad I found this forum. Its going to help save me a lot of $. The main reason I got back into collecting was to make one final purchase I have wanted my entire collecting career…..to own either shoeless joe american carmel (A or PSA 1 is all I can afford) or a cracker jack joe jackson (prefer 1914 but will settle for 1915). Once I purchase this card, I am retiring and putting the cards away to be passed down to my son once he is old enough.

Last edited by maximus35; 09-13-2016 at 09:35 PM.